Sunday, July 29, 2007

Web Service Invocation in Oracle ADF

Some time ago I was blogging about how to access persistence layer through Web Service interface - Web Services and Oracle TopLink. I have mentioned, that I will extend developed sample and will show how it is possible to use Web Services in Oracle ADF View layer.

Frank Nimphius have posted this week how-to article on OTN - Using Web Services with Complex Return Types in ADF. In this article, Frank describes in detail how to include and use your Web Service in Oracle ADF application. I have decided to apply described steps and develop client application - WSTopLinkClient.zip for my previously developed sample Web Service - WSTopLink.zip.

In developed client application, data retrieved from Web Service, is shown in af:table component:


Data for all three columns is retrieved from Web Service, however labels for regionId attribute are provided from client application Model layer. In Oracle ADF, data from Web Service can be easily merged with data provided by Model layer.

When running sample application, don't forget to add adf-faces-impl.jar and jsf-impl.jar to application's WEB-INF\lib directory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good blog

VB said...

Dear Andre,

Nice post. I am new to web services. I need to implement web service in my application. I need to validate a text field value through web service. How to invoke web service through on change or command button.

Thanks & Regards
VB

VB said...

Dear Andre,

I created a Java Web Service based on the document mentioned in the oracle site.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe1013jdev/ws/wsandascontrol.htm

Now i need to invoke the service in my backing bean (through value change listener).

How to invoke the webservice in backing bean.

Thanks & Regards
VB